Strong variations have recently been perceived by users and tracking tools of Google SERPs, thus suggesting an update of the Google algorithm under the name of “Fred” .
Since 9 March 2017, sites have complained that their traffic is falling sharply. To explain this phenomenon, tools such as Algoroo show an unexpected increase in volatility indices in the research results in March 2017 :
This volatility is reflected in part by two tweets from Glen Gabbe, a Digital Marketing consultant, who shows on one side a drop in traffic for one site and the opposite result for another.
Voir l’image sur Twitter
What does Google officially say?
- Nothing is officially announced by Google. “Fred” just comes from an ironic tweet posted by Gary Illyes suggesting that now all updates should be called like this.
- John Mueller does not confirm anything, insisting that Google does indeed updates on a daily basis.
What is this update about?
Despite the fact that google has not formalized anything, several sites have looked at the subject and everything suggests that it is an update around the quality of links of a site. The richness of the content could also be an influential element in “Fred”.
- Receive links from sites with a poor quality link profile .
- Sites with a “spammy” link profile will see their site drop to the position of certain keywords.
Quality of content
- Sites that have too light content (Thin Content).
- The websites MFA (Made for Adsense) or Thin Affiliate, offering advertising content without added value (critical, opinion etc.).
- Content that is not unique.
- The satellite pages (Doorway pages), positioned on precise queries with almost similar content.
How do I check if I am affected by this update?
You can check your Google Analytics account if your organic traffic is experiencing a sudden drop.
What tips to keep your position in Google SERPS?
- Have high-quality inbound links , ie from sites with a high level of authority.
- Have relevant backlinks , which have a link with the content in which they appear.
- Verify that your sitewide links are relevant where they appear. For example, an affiliation link is not recommended in a menu.
- Vary your types of anchor text: your brand, the raw URL, generic keywords and related to his business.
- Avoid using tools to automate backlinks , Black Hat SEO software . Prefer White Hat strategy like Netlinking or SEO popularity.
- Do not set up strategies like link pyramids , exchange or buying links .
To learn more about SEO strategies to be implemented, participate in our SEO training courses